CRIPTA DEL SANTO SEPOLCRO

CRYPT OF THE HOLY SEPULCHER

The crypt, located on the lower floor of the basilica, from the Romanesque period (X-XI century), has naves of equal height, with cross vaults. The crypt is divided into three transverse and nine longitudinal naves. Located under the transept and apse of the church above, with its 24 columns, it has nine small naves with ribbed cross vaults, which form a characteristic T.

Chiesa e Monastero di Santa Chiara

CHURCH AND MONASTERY OF SANTA CHIARA

On the hill called Poggio del Massaro, there is the monastery and the church of Santa Chiara. On May 27, 1333, the pontifical authority granted the Provincial Minister of Rome, Fra Tommaso di Acquapendente, the possibility of building the monastery to make it the seat of the community of the Poor Clares.

CHIESA DI SANTO STEFANO

CHURCH OF SANTO STEFANO

The church of Santo Stefano was built in 1600 by the bishop Giovan Battista Febei. The bombing of the Second World War completely destroyed it, precisely on 8 June 1944. Bishop Luigi Boccadoro had it completely rebuilt in 1953 and it was reopened for worship on 12 December 1954.

CHIESA DI SAN FRANCESCO

CHURCH OF SAN FRANCESCO

The church of San Francesco was initially titled in Santa Maria, and consecrated in 1149 by Monsignor Aldobrandini, bishop of Orvieto. In confirmation of the original dedication to Santa Maria, we still find the Assumption of Mary depicted in the lunette of the church facade, as well as the inscription inside the church on the triumphal arch “Assumpta est Maria in coelum”.

Chiesa di Santa Maria della Vittoria

CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA DELLA VITTORIA

The church of Santa Vittoria is the oldest parish church of Acquapendente. Built in the Gothic style, it was remodeled and completely transformed in the mid-18th century by the Prior Don Giovanni Vitali, at his expense, also adorning it with a wooden statue in honor of the Madonna del Fiore made by Giovanni Bulgarini da Piancastagnaio.

CHIESA DI SAN LORENZO

CHURCH OF SAN LORENZO

Already in 1588 the existence of the church of San Lorenzo in the Chronicles written by the local chronicler Paolo Biondi was mentioned, as a building placed in the fifth place of the parishes of Acquapendente. Concrete news of the church building is found more conspicuous only in 1871 when the parish seat was transferred to the church of San Michele Arcangelo, and later in 1875 to the church of Santo Stefano. In 1877 the previous church was demolished and the new one was inaugurated on a project by Guglielmo Melluzzi dedicated to the saints Lorenzo Levita and martyr and Michael the Archangel, in memory of the previous buildings of worship.